The Youth Teaching Adults program is a collaboration between ABC Life Literacy Canada (ABC) and Youth Empowering Parents (YEP). The two organizations have come together to bring the program to underserved communities across Canada. Workshop materials are available online and can be adapted according to the needs of individual groups.
Youth Teaching Adults workshop materials were developed by YEP, and adapted by ABC for clear language, for use with adult learners. The program is presented with funding from the Government of Canada. Youth Teaching Adults encourages youth to develop their leadership skills through teaching and helps adults increase their digital literacy skills.
Quick facts about the Youth Teaching Adults program
- Intergenerational workshops led by youth volunteer-tutors (high school-aged)
- One-on-one, learner-directed digital literacy workshops designed with the adult learner in mind
- Topics based on extensive research and feedback from learners
- Literacy level 2 content (grade 6-8 reading level) written in Clear Language and Design
- The program is free – ABC coordinates your workshops and provides access to the online learning platform where you can find training, over 50 different lesson plans and additional resources
- Whether your organization serves youth or adults, ABC will work with you to recruit and secure either youth volunteer-tutors or adult learners in your community to make your workshops a reality
- Honorarium: the first 100 organizations to run Youth Teaching Adults workshops will receive a cheque for $100